Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Stretching & Warm-Ups

   Most of the drummer population at one point or more has either experienced cramps or some type of pain during or after they play the drums and a lot of that has to do with not actually stretching and warming up. I remembered when I was getting more comfortable playing the drums harder and for long periods of time, after I was done playing my hands, wrists, and forearms would be really sore or in pain and for the longest time I never knew why untill I saw a video of a drummer name Tony Royster Jr. explaining why. In the video below he is going to show a couple stretches and a technique called the Moeller Technique and how you can use it in your warm ups and in your playing. The one of thing that I like about these stretches and warm ups is that they aren't made specifically for one thing. I don't really like things where I can only play it on the kit or play on a marching drum because it feels like, well at least to me, I can only do so much with it so I like to find and try things that I can apply to on the kit and marching. I defiantly do these things now before I start playing, especially for drumline, before I play at a performance, and when I for sure know I am going to go all "ANIMAL" (hopefully some people get that term,) on the kit because every drummer need to go crazy every once in a while without any disturbance.  


 So without further a do, here's Tony! Enjoy! :)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment